9 Planets in Astrology
Predictions and calculations of any natal chart is largely depend upon the role of planets in astrology.
Sun is the king of the planets in astrology. He is also called the ‘Father of Stars’. Sun is about 93 million miles away from the Earth. He is the largest amongst the planets. His diameter is about 110 times that of Earth and Sun is nearly 27,19,000 miles in circumference. Sun never goes retrograde. Sun is the soul of Kalpurusha, Moon is his mind, Mercury his speech, Mars his strength, Jupiter his knowledge and happiness, Venus his desire or lust, Saturn his misery. Sun absorbs the power and influence of any planet within an orb of 8 ½ degrees of his conjunction.
Sun represents the administrative head or Government. The Sun offers us the power of resistance and vitality. He controls the breath of life, and makes one determined and decisive. You must have seen people in your life with amazing self-confidence, full of energy, always high spirit, highly ambitious; this is primarily because of their strong Sun. Sun or Surya in Sanskrit is a male planet and king among nine planets. It is the sole cause of existence of this world. It gives us light and life. We get up early in the morning and practice ‘Surya Namaskar’ to get the blessings of energy and vitality from Lord Sun.
If the Sun is unfavourable in Kundli, the native may be too forceful, lordly, domineering, positively arrogant and
extravagant. It may also cause heart disorders as well as loss of position or esteem due to impulsiveness.
- It is a luminary star because of its immense emission of light, approximately 93 million miles away from earth with a massive heat around which illuminates the other planets and star too. In Hindu culture, Sun is represented as a Lord riding on a seven horse chariot.
- Sun is the soul of your astrological chart too. It is the most prominent significator of father who creates a new life in you. Sun is the secondary significator for husband or male partner in a women chart.
- Sun rules Leo and 5th house. It spends around 30 days in each sign. In planetary relationship, Sun is friend with Moon, Jupiter, Mars, and enemy with Saturn, Venus, Rahu, and Ketu. Vimshottari dasha of Sun is 6 years and its constellations (nakshatras) are Krittika, Uttara Phalguni, and Uttarashadha. Sun is exalted in Aries, and debilitated in the Libra. Its gemstone is Ruby.
- A strong Sun in the chart indicates good health, good appearance, good or higher education, good employment opportunities, high position in job, leadership and ruling ability, good social status, and materialistic comforts. It may give you career in politics, government job, police, can make you good speaker, administrator, contractor, physician, or pharmacist.
- Sun is your courage, initiative, ego, intelligence, will power, spirituality, and road to fortune. Since it is a hot planet, it makes you temperamental. Sun is Giver, so it also makes you kind-hearted, good natured, responsible, royal, and optimistic.
- In the body, Sun represents health, head, body, bone structure, blood, brain, bile, digestion, voice-organ, heart, right eye for males and left eye for females. Strong Sun makes your physically fit and active.
- Weak Sun gives weak eyesight, headache, digestive disorder, heart trouble, dental problems, bone fracture, fever, high blood pressure, baldness, bone cancer, weak immune system, etc.
- Sun rules ancestors, and it creates ‘Pitra Dosha’ in kundali if Sun is aspected/conjuncted by more than one inauspicious planets.
Moon or Chandra in Sanskrit is the closest planet from earth. It strongly controls the human emotions, feelings and mood. Moon rules Cancer and the 4th House. It spends 2-1/2 days in each sign and takes approximately 30 days to complete its astrological cycle through each zodiac signs.
Moon is the only planet in astrology which revolves round the Earth. The distance between the Earth and Moon is approximately 2,38,000 miles. Moon rules the lives of the beings on Earth. Moon also represents mother, since it is feminine in nature, it makes us timid. Moon governs the impregnation, birth of child, and rules the infant stage of a person. Afflicted Moon at the time of birth causes ailments and does not allow to have proper growth. Its proximity to the Earth and rapidity of motion makes it a powerful significator. It rules liquids, fresh water, milk, groceries, fish, drinks, sailing, brewing, nursing and females. Moon’s impact on the brain is very powerful as it is too close to the earth. People ruled by Moon are usually sensitive, emotional and domesticated, possessing a love for home. If Moon is not favourable in the chart, the natives may be too easy going, there could be over indulgence in eating, drinking or pleasure. Person ruled by Moon do well as nurses, cooks, confectioners, grocers, gardeners, in liquids, stewards, clerks etc.
- It is friend with Jupiter, Sun, Mercury, and enemy with Saturn, Rahu, and Ketu. Vimshottari dasha of Moon is 10 years and constellations are Rohini, Hasta, and Shravan. Moon is exalted in Taurus at 3 degree, and debilitated in Scorpio at 3 degree. Mool trikona rashi of Moon is Taurus between 4 to 30 degree. Pearl is the gemstone of Moon.
- If Sun is father, Moon is mother; the mother brings up the child so Moon is strong significator of mother and motherly things as it is a female planet and considered as the queen among planets. Strong Moon indicates a great love and care from mother, and makes mother capable enough to bring up and develop the child’s mental faculties. Moon is the secondary significator for wife.
- Strong Moon gives career in public relations, administration, house-keeping, nursing, cooking, catering, psychologist and physician like jobs related to care and feelings. Hotels, restaurants, public places, hospitals are connected with Moon. Moon also represents water so watery places, things related to water such as ships or sailors are connected with Moon.
- Good Moon gives pleasing appearance, good speaking abilities, good memory, good deeds, good imagination, good intellect, fertility power, and good feelings. Moon also gives feminine nature so people with good Moon are generally liked by females.
- Weak Moon may give you fickle temperament; intolerance, insensitivity, and even insomnia as Moon represent sleep. Through Moon you can also check family, financial solvency, happy married life, inheritance, income and gains, basic comfort, family, basic education, status of married life, social behavior etc.
- In the body, it represents face, mind, feelings, tolerance, intellect, imagination, good memory, fertility, blood, breasts, stomach, lungs, chest, left eye for males, and menstrual cycle, generative organs and right eye for females.
You must have seen daring or hot headed people full of courage, action, passion, ambition, physical strength or with fighting spirit always ready to take on anybody, do anything without hesitation. Such people are governed by Mars. Mars or Mangal in Sanskrit is the commander-in-chief of the planetary cabinet.
Mars is one of the outer planets in astrology, smaller than Earth, the God of war and also of hunting. Mars is said to be the son of the Earth and is called Bhumi-putra. He is the governer of dispute and destruction. Mar’s controls ambition, desires, senses, and animal instinct in man. If Mars is strong, it gives tremendous self confidence, combat nature, muscular strength, organising ability, ambition to be successful in every field. Afflicted Mars will make the native short tempered, argumentive, and quarrelsome. Mars is also the chief governor for brothers and real estate.
Being an action planet, Mars people do well in business or in profession if planet is rightly placed in the chart.
- Mars is a red, dry, fiery, male planet. Mars is exalted in Capricorn, and debilitated in Cancer. Red Coral is the gemstone. Mars rules Aries and Scorpio, and 1st and 8th house. Mars is smaller than earth; it spends 45 days in each zodiac, and approximately one and half years to complete the astrological cycle through all the zodiacs. Mars is friend with Sun, Moon, Jupiter, and enemy with Mercury and Rahu. Vimshottari dasha of Mars is 7 years and constellations are Mrugshirsh, Chitra, and Dhanishtha.
- Mars means anything related to courage – mental and physical; anything which has the element of danger in it. Mars people are brave not afraid of, that is why Mars governed natives generally opt for military, police, fire-fighting, engineering, surgery, builder, mechanic, entrepreneur, sports like professions. Athletes, martial artists, or persons in daring sports also come from a strong Mars background.
- On the negative side Mars could also make you gangster, criminal, shooter, executioner etc. Afflicted Mars gives arguments, quarrels, fights, lack of courage and dare. Mars is the general significator of younger brothers which also adds to the strength of the native, afflicted Mars will give trouble from younger brothers.
- Depending upon the placement of the Mars, these natives may be cruel, active, violent, angry and rash. Mars gives well built body. Mars influenced natives are hasty, aggressive, impatient, and inconsistent in their behavior. Places near to fire, kitchen, battlefield, stadiums etc, and explosives, weapons, guns belong to Mars.
- In your body, if you want to study anything related to chest, bone marrow, blood, intestine, forehead, neck, nose, or muscles, study Mars. Afflicted Mars could be a cause of accidents, wounds, burns, fractures, piles, liver problems, fevers, tumors, typhoid, cholera, pox and boils, etc. For example if you want to study the possibility of vehicle accident in the kundli, look for the placement of Mars.
- If you want to study the real estate, immovable properties such as house or lands look for Mars. If you want to study anything related to surgery or operations etc. look for Mars. Any question related to above discussed topics will be answered by Mars.
You can even have a real tour of Mars by watching the movie ‘The Martian’!
Mercury, or Budha in Sanskrit, is the most prominent planet of speech, communication, and intellect. You must have seen people with excellent oral, written, mental, and logical skills, witty, good with speaking abilities and calculative skills, it is because of Mercury. Such person creates humor in the environment using their oral and mental skills. People who are not good in communication or having problems gathering thoughts is due to weak or afflicted Mercury.
Mercury, nearest to Sun, also known as “The Messenger of Gods”. It is generally portrayed as a most young planet in astrology; that is why Mercurial people generally have a youthful appearance. Mercury does generally well in the company or aspect of favourable planets. Within 8 ½ degrees of the Sun, he is treated as combust loosing all its ability. Mercury rules the sense of understanding, interpretation and expression. It is the controller of travelling, teaching, speaking, writing, publishing, literature etc. Mercury makes the person good orators, writers, reporters, teachers, and accountants, generally professions which requires logical, imaginative & intellectual mind. These people are orderly and methodical.
Mercury influenced person tend to study occult sciences also. Afflicted Mercury will make the person clever, cunning and mischievous. Such persons are sometimes good at gambling.
- Authors, teachers, businessmen, media persons, lawyers, accountants, software engineers, astrologers, diplomats are influenced with Mercury. Mercury makes you poet, mathematician, gives you banking or clerical jobs.
Mercury rules the Gemini and Virgo and 3rd and 6th house in the natal chart. It spends 25 days in each sign and takes around 10 months to complete the zodiac cycle.
- It is considered as the prince among the planets. It represents sisters, friends and maternal uncles. Mercury is friend with Sun, Venus, Rahu, and enemy with Moon and Ketu. Its vimshottari dasha is 17 years and constellations are Ashlesha, Jyeshtha, and Revati. Mercury is exalted in Virgo at 15 degree and debilitated in Pisces at 15 degree. Mooltrikona Rashi of Mercury falls in Virgo 16 to 20 degrees. Its gemstone is Emerald.
- Mercury people are attractive with good physical features. Mercury tells about your childhood and education; places like libraries, post office, parks, airport, cinema halls, media house etc belong to Mercury.
- Since it is primarily related with mind abilities; weak Mercury causes psychic problems, nervous system problem, memory loss etc. Mercury rules the skin and skin related problems; it also rules the tongue, mouth, hands and arms.
- Mercury, when weak, causes vertigo, deafness, asthma, and denotes difficulty in thought and communication. Mercury is also general significator for learning, childhood, logic, maternal uncles, basic and higher education.
If Sun and Mars is cruel planet, and Mercury is neutral; then Jupiter or Brihaspati in Sanskrit is one most positive and powerful planet. Jupiter is preceptor of Gods and Lord of Sky. Jupiter is the giant planet in astrology. Jupiter is the ‘Guru’ of Gods. Old Greeks considered Jupiter as the father of Gods-Zeus. Jupiter is termed as ‘Fortuner’. If well placed in horoscope, he bestows a considerable amount of what appears to be good luck. It is said, even if other planets are ill posited, if Jupiter is strong and well placed in a chart, he will enjoy the last minute assistance to tide over the difficult time. However, bad Jupiter will make the native careless, extravagant, lavish, debt-ridden, and disputed. Jupiter is also considered as significator for children (Santan Karaka).
- Jupiter rules Sagittarius and Pisces and 9th and 12th house in the natal chart. It spends 13 months in a single zodiac and takes 12 years to complete the zodiac cycle. Jupiter is friend with Sun, Moon, Mars, and enemy with Venus and Mercury.
- Its vimshottari dasha is 16 years and constellation are Punarvasu, Vishakha, and Purvabhadrapada. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, and debilitated in Capricorn. Gemstone of Jupiter is Pukhraj or Yellow Sapphire. Its color is yellow. It aspects 7th,5th and 9th house from its own position.
- Jupiter is perhaps very important planet for females as it is primary significator of husband and plays an important role in deciding marriage. Politics and administration is a very strong trait of Jupiter, almost all successful politicians have strong Jupiter.
- Jupiter is the planet of wisdom and knowledge, so professions require specific stream of knowledge belongs to Jupiter. Financial advisors, bankers, politicians, bureaucrats, lawyers, physicians, priests, judges, teachers, and astrologers all professionals are under influence of Jupiter.
- Places belong to these professions also come under the jurisdiction of Jupiter such as banks, courts, universities etc.
- Study the placement of Jupiter for children, fortune, wealth, education, father, and elder siblings.
Jupiter is very religious and spiritual in nature; spirituality, intelligence, humanity, wisdom, optimism, faith, generosity, humor, idealism and judgment are prime traits of Jupiter.
- In the body, Jupiter represents the hips, glands, ears, feet, physical development, and throat etc. When weak, it causes anaemia, jaundice, liver complaints, cough, cold, and asthma etc. It also makes you overconfident, extravagant, and materialistic.
You must have wondered what celebrities such as musicians, actors, artists, and dancers have special in their chart. It is Venus or Shukra in Sanskrit. Venus is planet you would love to be at right place in your kundli. It is all about material pleasure, love, romance, marriage, and friendship. Beauty, music, dance, drama is Venus. Anything related to luxury such as jewelry, expensive cars, beautiful home is Venus. Venus means opulence.
Venus is the brightest planet in astrology. Venus is a feminine planet considered to be the Goddess of all worldly comforts and chief governer of marriage in men’s chart. Men and women ruled by Venus are noticeably kind and social. When afflicted, Venus produces unsatisfactory domestic conditions, anxiety in love, and difficulty with friends of through finances. Venus rules the vehicles.
- Venus is the brightest planet among all; it rules the Taurus and Libra, and second and seventh house in the natal chart. It spends 28 days in each zodiac, and takes 225 days to complete the zodiac cycle. It is a very strong significator of wife, marriage, and happy married life.
- Venus is soft and polite planet, it is friend with Saturn, Mercury, Rahu, and enemy with Moon, Sun, and Mars. Its vimshottari dasha is 20 years and constellations are Bharani, PurvaPhalguni, and Purvashadha. It is exalted in Pisecs and debilitated in Virgo. Its gemstone is Diamond.
- Professions related to limelight or luxury such as designing, fashion designing, architecture, interior decoration, modelling, advertising, and fashion belong to Venus.
- Places of pleasure such as amusement parks, theaters, cinemas, restaurants, and art galleries etc belong to Venus.
- Good Venus makes you beautiful, remember those gorgeous ladies – fair complexion, slim body, lovely eyes, charming appearance, sharp and beautiful facial cuts, bright hair – yes – it is Venus.
- In the body, Venus represents the sexual organs, semen, private parts, kidneys, face, eyes, neck, throat, chin, cheeks, and skin. Weak Venus causes diabetes, anaemia, stone problems, sex problems, asthma etc.
Saturn or Shani in Sanskrit is highly debatable planet in astrology. Astrologers have many viewpoints about the dasha and antardasha of Saturn. It is very slow moving planet and spends a great time of two and half year in one zodiac. Sade-Sati (seven and half years) and Dhaiya (two and half years) is its most talked and researched dashas. People are generally very suspicious about these two dashas, and do a lot of praying and worship of Lord Shani – God associated with this planet.
Saturn is the outermost planet amongst the planets in astrology. Average time for Saturn in a sign is 2 ½ years. Saturn is the chief governor for longevity. Saturn is said to be ‘lame’. Western astrology considers it as significator of darkness, secrecy, loss and misfortune. Most of the labor related occupation is dominated by Saturn. Along with Mars, Saturn is also one of the significators of land & property.
Ironically, all the so-called evils of Saturn leads to the betterment of life but after teaching certain lessons. It will make you humble, patient, seeker, and believer by the way of limitations, delay, adversaries, and redeem you. It sends you in instrospection mode whenever comes in the dasha. Saturn is considered to be favourable for people born in the signs of Venus whereas evil to those born in the signs of Mercury. He is also beneficial when he is in his own sign, or when he occupies the signs of Jupiter or when he is exalted.
- It is probably the only planet whose Lord i.e. Lord Shani is duly worshipped and prayed in the temples around country and people gather and pray in these temples with full rituals on Saturdays.
- Saturn rules Capricorn and Aquarius, and 10th and 11th house. Saturn takes 30 years to complete the zodiac cycle. Saturn is friend with Ketu, Mercury, Venus, and enemy with Mars, Sun, and Moon. Vimshottari dasha of Saturn is of 19 years, and constellations are Pushya, Anuradha, and Uttarabhadrapada. It is exalted in Libra and debilitated in Aries. Gemstone of Saturn is Blue Sapphire or Neelam.
- Saturn has image of a cruel and hard planet. Saturn signifies more hard work and less reward in one’s life. At the same time it is very important planet of your life cycle. Dasha of Saturn brings you to the real purpose of your life and teaches many life lessons associated with past, present, and future life through hurdles, problems, setbacks, sorrow, and pain for a long time as it is very slow moving.
- That is why death, poverty, debt, sorrow, grief, misery, slavery, imprisonment, separation, and places such as jails, slums, sewers, and graves come under the influence of Saturn. Dasha of Saturn brings the best out of you with highest human qualities.
- Spirituality, detachment, sincerity, stability, longevity, and consistency also come under the influence of Saturn. It signifies workers, labours, servants, butchers, engineers, real estate agents, farmers, sweepers, hermits, and monks etc.
- In the body, Saturn represents the muscles, joints, teeth, knees, and bones. When weak, it causes constant and painful diseases, fracture, cancer, arthritis, insanity, impotency, miserliness and selfishness.
- Saturn is strongly associated with iron, coal, wood, and steel, and people with strong Saturn makes a lot of wealth through the business of these material.
Rahu and Ketu does not have body shape like other planets. According to legends, after churning of the ocean (Samudra Manthan), with many things, came out Amrita. There was a dispute amongst the Devas and Asuras over its distribution. Lord Vishnu did a trick and managed to whole of it consumed by Devas. However, one Asura also hid in the queue and consumed little Amrita, knowing it Lord cut him in two pieces, head part called ‘Rahu’ and remaining body part called ‘Ketu’. In horoscope, they are always opposite to each other.
Rahu has numerous contradictory interpretations discussed among astrologers, however, few things are common:
- It is a shadow planet without any shape or size. It is a malefic planet and does not rule any sign or house.
- According to some, it is exalted in Taurus and debilitated in Sagittarius, and some it is exalted in Gemini and debilitated in Scorpio.
- Rahu is friend with Mercury, Saturn, Venus, and enemy with Sun, Moon, and Mars.
- It spends 18 months in a zodiac sign and takes 18 years to complete the zodiac cycle. Gemstone is Hassonite or Gomed.
- Is it good or bad is quite a discussion. It is considered good in angular houses i.e. 1, 4, 7, 10; bad in dushsthan i.e. 6, 8, 12.
- How it will behave in kundli primarily depends upon its dispositor placement, aspect, conjunction etc. Dispositor is ruling planet of the sign Rahu is into. It is said that Rahu is good alone without any conjunction. If its dispositor is strong or it is aspected by its dispositor, then it becomes strong in the chart.
- Rahu makes you over-ambitious, gives sudden setbacks, un-diagnosed health problems, loss of reputation-finance; it also represents black magic or evil spirits related issues, manipulative and speculative jobs such as gambling, poisons, drugs, and immoral acts.
- It causes problems in marital relationship if connected to marriage houses (7, 2, 11) or planets.
- Rahu is the favourite planet for politician and diplomats which may give them rise in career.
Same as Rahu, Ketu is also a shadowy, malefic planet always positioned opposite Rahu.
- Ketu signifies liberation or Moksha, mysterious knowledge, mystic science and spiritual pursuits.
- Both Rahu and Ketu can give the person unexpected and sudden results. Ketu can make you magician, astrologer, or medical practitioner.
- Ketu is friend with Venus, Rahu, Ketu, and Saturn, and enemy with Mars, Sun, and Moon.
- Ketu spends one and half year in each zodiac and takes 18 years to complete the zodiac cycle.
- Vimshottari dasha of Ketu is of 7 years. Ketu is exalted in Sagittarius and debilitated in Taurus/Gemini. Gemstone of Ketu is Lahsuniya or Cat’s Eye.
Also read “Study of Planets“.