How to Read Birth Chart – Part 1
It is very usual not to understand initially where to see and what to see when first looking at the kundli as a beginner. There are a lot of rules if you want to learn how to read birth chart or kundli, and it is not easy to remember all of these, still you need to have your basics clear. There are three very important concepts to study and remember without which you would not be able to proceed any further:
1. Nine planets/Lords in astrology – their nature, behavior, chemistry with each other.
2. 12 bhava/houses in astrology – what areas of life they represent; what is good, bad and special about them.
3. Different Lords in different houses/bhava.
Following information will help you to proceed further with predictive techniques:
Body Parts Ruled by Planets:
1st House: Head, Brain
2nd House: Neck, Throat, Right Eye, Teeth
3rd House: Hands, Shoulder, Right Ear
4th House: Heart, Chest, Lungs
5th House: Belly, Liver, Pancreas, Digestion, Liver
6th House: Large Intestines, Kidneys
7th House: Private Parts, Uterus, Lumber
8th House: Scortum, Hips
9th House: Thighs
10th House: Knees, Joints, Bones
11th House: Left Ear
12th House: Left Eye, Feet
Relations Ruled By Houses:
1st House: Self
2nd House: Male Child, Spouse
3rd House: Younger Brothers
4th House: Mother
5th House: Children
6th House: Maternal Uncle
7th House: Spouse
8th House: No Relation
9th House: Father
10th House: Happiness from Male Child
11th House: Elder Brother Sister
12th House: No Relation
General Significations Ruled by Houses:
1st House: Nature, Vitality, Personality, Appearance
2nd House: Wealth, Status, Family
3rd House: Initiative, Courage
4th House: Property, Vehicle
5th House: Intelligence, Emotions
6th House: Debt, Sickness, Dispute
7th House: Partners, Pleasures
8th House: Death, Inheritance, Obstructions
9th House: Long Journey, Religion, Fortune
10th House: Profession, Character, Karma
11th House: Gains, Income, Friends
12th House: Imprisonment, Expenses, Losses
Conjunction: It is important that you understand the concept of conjunction and aspects.
Planetary Conditions: Planetary Conditions or Avasthas is the status of degree at which these are placed in the house. Planets below five degrees are considered infant and weak unless they are close to most effective point of the ascendant. Similarly, planets above 25 degrees are considered weak unless they are close to the most effective point of the ascendant.
Lordship of the Houses:
- Always look at the placement of the Mooltrikona sign of the planets in the houses to decide the lordship of the house. Basic analysis is done keeping in mind the placement of mooltrikona signs.
- Study the ascendant and its strength from every point of view as it is the foundation of your life. Study the planets in it, their relationship, aspects from other planets, house of ascendant lord, its relation with other houses etc. Careful study of ascendant will do half the work.
- It is considered auspicious if ascendant lord is positioned strong in the Kendra or Trikona, or aspecting the ascendant from its position.
- Study the placement of Sun in the chart. Sun is the soul of your kundli, to get success in life Sun has to be strong. Study the planetary position and relationship of Sun with other planets.
- It is said that having planets in the 2nd and 12th house from Sun’s own house gives strength and confidence to the native and help him grow in his life.
- Another important planet to study is Moon as Moon controls the mind, and if mind is working perfectly, life could become a lot easier to live.
- It is important that Moon has planets in the 2nd and 12th house from its own house, or in the same house, or Moons is placed in Kendra or Trikona to avoid any possibility of kemadruma yoga.
Trikona and Kendra Houses:
- After this, have a look at the Trikona and Kendra houses as these houses are considered most powerful; especially 1st, 5th, and 9th house.
- 9th house is luck house. Someone has said that our life is 1% hard work and 99% luck; so it is important that life is supported by luck to succeed. If 9th house is strong then it is considered very lucky, if it is afflicted then luck factor is less else it should be taken as average luck.
- Check the following houses: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th, 11th.
- If these houses have mooltrikona sign, and Lords are strong, it may signify good financial gains.
Positive relationship between ascendant and 11th Lord, either by placement or aspect, is considered signs of richness.
- Strong relationship between 5th and 9th Lord, either by placement or aspect, gives wealth.
- Positive relationship between 2nd and 11th Lord gives wealth, and if these are placed in trines or angular houses then person may become affluent.
- Strong 3rd house gives wealth through communications, business, or creative work.
- Strong 5th house gives wealth through speculation and investment.
- 8th house gives wealth through inheritance, speculation, gambling etc.
- Strong 10th house gives wealth through profession.
- Strong 11th house and its Lord give gains through the significations of the house where Lord is placed.
A person who does not have any planet in 6th, 8th, and 12th house, he will live happily most of his life. In case planets in these houses are of own zodiac or exalted then it should be considered as average. In any other condition, it should be studied carefully as these houses are related to pain, sorrow and death.
Absence of planets in the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th in all of these houses could make the person king (Mansagari).
Planets in own houses or in exalted signs are considered auspicious depending upon a few other things.
Planets own the 1st, 5th, and 9th house generally gives favorable results in its dasha and antar-dasha.
If any auspicious planet (Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Moon) owns the 4th, 7th, and 10th house then it will not give the desired results in its own dasha. In the same way if any malicious planets own these houses, then it will not give its malicious effect during the dasha.
It is said that most of the planets do not produce the desired results in their own main-period (maha-dasha) but sub-period.