How to do Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This pose gets its name from the shape itself i.e. bow. The body takes the shape of bow and arms work as string. It is a very good asana to flexi your back, relieve or avoid the backache, and control the constipation.
Steps to do Dhanurasana
- Lie flat on your abdomen with your feet a little apart and hands by your side.
- Inhale and while inhaling lift your chest off the ground, look straight.
- At the same time bend your knees and bring your feet towards the hips in such a way that you are able to hold both the ankles comfortably.
- You can take your time to adjust the pose and requirement.
- Do not hold the foot instead, try to grab the ankles. Once you have got hold of it, pull the ankles up and towards the back as much as possible. Don’t overstretch it.
- In an ideal pose, entire weight of the body will be onto the abdomen area. If you want, you can rock your body just like rocking chair.
- To release the pose, exhale and release the body to simply lie flat. This is one round. Do 3-5 rounds.
Inhale in the starting position. Retain the breath while raising the body. Retain the breath inside in the final position. Exhale while returning to the starting position.
- In case you are not able to reach or hold to your ankles, just wrap around the ankle with any rope or cloth and use it instead to pull the ankles.
- Also, some beginners may find it difficult to roll up the thighs to lift the ankles; one can place the blankets or any other soft thing below the thighs to support the lift.
- This asana should be followed by any forward bending asana.
- Strengthens back and abdominal muscles, make the back flexible and stimulate the chest, neck and shoulders.
- Helps as a stress and fatigue buster and relieves menstrual discomfort and constipation. Helps with renal (kidney) disorders.
- It is recommended for the diabetes and cervical spondylitis. It improves the blood circulation.
- Dhanurasana is useful for relieving various chest ailments, including asthma.
People with blood pressure problem, neck injury, and migraine should not attempt it.
Do not attempt it during pregnancy.