How to do Katichakrasana (Standing Spinal Twist) or (Waist Rotating Pose)
In this asana, your whole vertebral column is rotated on its own axis with the feet well grounded. Lets see how to do katichakrasana step by step.
Steps to do Katichakrasana
- Stand up straight with your feet together well-grounded at shoulder width and arms by the side.
- Inhale and hold the left shoulder with the right hand and move the left hand to the back at your waist and try to touch the right side of the waist.
- Bring the right hand to the left shoulder and left arm around the back.
- Bring the left hand around the right side of the waist.
- Look over the left shoulder as far as possible.
- Keep the back of the neck straight.
- Exhale and gently rotate upper half of the body (neck included) towards left side making a slight pressure on the right side waist and try to look back over the left shoulder as much as possible.
- Keep the movement slow and steady, don’t jerk or hurry.
- Feel the stretch in your lower back. Breathing in, come back to the center.
Repeat this pose a few times on both sides.
- Very good for office people to refresh.
- Removes fatigue, depression and minor aches.
- Provides relief from backache, constipation, indigestion and gas.
- Give flexibility to the spine and waist and strengthens the lower back
Opens up the neck and shoulders.
- Tones the waist, back and hips. Removes stiffness from the back due to wrong posture.
- Remove physical and mental tension for any reason.
Not for people with chronic spinal disorders.