Is Pizza Healthy: Depends How You Eat It and How Often!
Pizza is all about type of crust, the amount of cheese, the toppings used, the size of the slice and the number of slices you eat.
Is Pizza Healthy?
Good news, because it is baked, pizza crust made with whole-wheat flour offers whole grains and fibre, has good amount of veggie content which in turn supplies antioxidants, vitamins, calcium, protein, complex carbohydrates, minerals, and they are fairly low in calorie.
Is Pizza Un-Healthy?
Bad news, pizza is low on fibre (just like maggi), high on sodium, saturated fat and calorie. White flour pizza is loaded with fats and carbs, takes long to digest, and contains controversial monosodium glutamate (MSG), artificial colouring etc.
This article reviews the nutrition of the most favourite food around the world and how you can enjoy it without harming your health!
15 reasons Pizza can be healthy.
[media-credit name=”verywellfit.com” align=”alignnone” width=”700″][/media-credit]
- According to the American Institute of Baking, most pizzas are actually quite high in nutritional value.
- Unlike other fast food options, pizza is not fried but baked.
- Among all the fast foods in the market, pizza offers the highest veggie content.
- Tomato forms the most significant ingredient. Lycopene found in tomatoes is good for your bones, skin, and blood vessels. It supplies a good dose of antioxidants.
- Chromium and vitamin C found in onion help regulate blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- The high levels of antioxidants and vitamins C, B6, and A, in capsicum support the immune system, metabolism, digestive health, and good vision.
- Mushrooms contain riboflavin and potassium good for your central nervous system. Olives contain vitamin E, polyphenols, and flavonoids.
- You can also increase your calcium intake by adding other ingredients such as spinach, broccoli, or seafood.
- Pizza offers a good source of protein, complex carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, and they are fairly low in caloric density.
- The protein content (cheese and meat toppings) of pizza is 10%-14% which is important to growing children and the fat content of pizza is around 10%.
- Use of vegetable oil while making the crust is a good source of polyunsaturated fat, however cholesterol too.
- Pizza can be a good energy food because of complex carbohydrates, primarily starch.
- As far as calorie is concerned, it is still good in pizza as compared to the other bread products.
- Goodness of Pizza include the fact that it offers calcium from cheese, lycopene from tomatoes and pizza crust made with whole-wheat flour offers whole grains and fiber.
- Traditional style pizza made with flour, yeast, water, salt, oil, tomato sauce and fresh cheese can be quite healthy.
Domino’s delivers the most pizzas in the world, at over a million pizzas per day.
15 reasons Pizza can be unhealthy.
According to the Ruben Bravo, of the European Medical Institute of Obesity: “Pizza consumption could well be one of the reasons why USA has the highest numbers of obesity cases.”
- Apart from all the good news above, it is also true that pizza is low on fiber (just like maggi), high on sodium, saturated fat and calorie.
- Pizza tastes great because it is loaded with various fats and made from white flour used to make pizza dough which is high on carbs.
- This means it turns to glucose in the body can turn into fat and spike sugar levels.
- You may feel sleepy after eating pizza as it takes a lot of time and energy to digest.
- Sodium part comes from here making them a poor choice for those who are salt-sensitive.
- They’re prepared using refined wheat flour which is low in fiber than whole-grain flours.
- Pizza from fast-food restaurants have the greatest negative impact as Fast-food pizzas usually contain health impacting monosodium glutamate (MSG), artificial coloring and high-fructose corn syrup.
- Toppings such as pepperoni, sausage and extra cheese are source of saturated fat and sodium.
- Sausage, extra cheese and other high-calorie items can add to the calorie content. Extra toppings can make it unhealthy, so be mindful.
- Cheese – Contributor of both sodium and cholesterol.
- The type of pizza you find at a take out or eat-in restaurant is generally not healthy because of the refined carbohydrates, saturated fats and amount of sodium it contains.
- With fat and salt levels high, three slices of a plain pizza would deliver about 75 percent of the daily recommended intake for sodium and total fat.
- Be mindful of cheese, pick a healthy sauce, choose smart toppings.
- Giving our modern lifestyle where physical activities are almost zero, eating pizza needs some consideration.
- Even though pizza is considered a healthy diet, just like fruit juices; you have to watch it!
Americans eat approximately 350 slices of pizza per second
How it is bad for diabetic patients?
Refined carbs may increase blood sugar levels and cause insulin resistance, major risk factors for heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
How much calories a pizza provides?
A very normal Pizza provides around 300 calories. The recommended daily calorie intake is 2,000 calories a day for women and 2,500 for men.
Is calorie bad for health?
More than required calories add into your weight gain. So if you can keep your calorie intake under check, it is ok to eat pizza.
How much carbohydrate a pizza provides?
A very normal Pizza provides around 40 gm of carbs. The recommended intake is around 225 gm per day.
Is carbohydrate bad for health?
Excess carbohydrate leads to weight gain, poor metabolic health and an increased risk of heart disease.
How much sodium a pizza provides?
A very normal Pizza provides around 600 mg of sodium. The recommended intake is less than 2300 mg per day i.e. one teaspoon of salt.
How extra sodium can harm us?
Too much sodium in the diet can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
What is good time in a day to eat pizza?
Anytime, but do not eat it at night.
What is a good pizza?
Use ingredients low in fat and, if possible, make it yourself.
How frequently we can eat pizza?
Not more than two or three times a month. Eating regularly can lead to weight gain and risk of chronic health conditions.
Giuseppe Russolillo president of the Spanish Association of Nutritionists, said: “Whatever be the discussion, always remember it is more of a ‘junk food’. With our overweight-lazy population, we should increase our consumption of cereal grains, fresh vegetables, fish and poultry to provide for a healthier diet.”
How to eat pizza in a healthy way?
- Whole-grain crust is a better choice over white-flour crust. Whole-grain crust has extra fibre and protein.
- Use less cheese. It will help to minimize the calories.
- Load it with veggies. Perhaps the only good thing with pizza is that it can be loaded with any veggie every veggie such as spinach, fresh tomato, beans, salsa, broccoli, onions etc.
- Portion or size of pizza also matters.
- Salad is another way to serve the pizza. It will provide more veggies to chew and help to digest it easily.
There are over 34 million ways to create a single Domino’s pizza.
Check it out! 80 DELICIOUS FACTS ABOUT PIZZA