How to do Marjariasana (Cat Stretch Pose)
Marjariasana or cat pose is an asana where Marjari means Cat. Marjariasana is a vajrasana group asana. This asana improves the flexibility of the neck, shoulders and spine. It gently tones the female reproductive system. It may be safely practiced in the pregnancy also.
Steps to do Marjariasana:
- Sit in vajrasana. Stand on the knees either together or little apart.
- Lean forward and place your palms flat on the floor under the shoulder.
- Make sure your thighs are perpendicular and palms are in line with knees.
- Now inhale while raising your head and lowering your spine in a concave shape. Do this in a sync.
- Hold the breath for 3-5 seconds and exhale while lowering your head and raising your spine as in previous position.
- At the end of the exhaling again hold the breath for 3-5 seconds, make the arch of the back as much as possible without moving your palms from the floor.
- Take the breath normally. This is one round. Do at least 5-7 rounds.
- While breathing in and out make use the slow and relax breathing as much as possible, not a sudden breathing.
image courtesy: timeshood
Do not bend the elbows during entire practice. Keep the arms and thighs straight all the time.