Vimshottari is a modified form of Vees (20) + Shattari (100), as human life is divided in 120 years. There are more than 50 dasha system in the astrology. Some of them are as follows:
[media-credit name=”Image Credit: apnabaraut.in” align=”aligncenter” width=”704″][/media-credit]
Among them, Vimshottari dasha system is the most accurate and logical dasha-system to predict the timing of a particular event in the past, present and future of one’s life. For example, when will you get a house, get married, get a job, buy a car, have a kid etc. The answer of ‘When’ only comes from the Vimshottari dasha system. Prediction about any event in an astrology chart is done by looking at either Gochara (transits of planets) or Vimshottari dasha period. This dasha system has also been approved by the Rishi Parashara in the immensely popular astrology book HoraShastra –
“O Brahmin, the full span of life of man in Kali yuga is said to be 120 years (purnaayu or full life); therefore, amongst the various dashas, Vimshottari dasha is the prime dasha system“… Sage Parasara, Brihat Parasara HoraShastra, Chapter 32.12-14
According to Vedic astrology, planets have a fix number of years, or Mahadasha ( Great period) assigned to them. When you are born, you birth could be under the Mahadasha of any of these planets. Vimshottari dasha system has a fix cyclic order of the Mahadasha of planets. This dasha system works on the basis of Nakshatras (constellation). Vimshottari dasha starts right after the birth of the native and runs till the end of his life.
The Mahadasha of each of the planet is as follows:
|Sun||6 Years||Krittika, Uttara Phalguni, Uttarashadha|
|Moon||10 Years||Rohini, Hasta, Shravan|
|Mars||7 Years||Mrugshirsh, Chitra, Dhanishtha|
|Rahu||18 Years||Ardra, Swati, Shattaraka|
|Jupiter||16 Years||Punarvasu, Vishakha, Purvabhadrapada|
|Saturn||19 Years||Pushya, Anuradha, Uttarabhadrapada|
|Mercury||17 Years||Ashlesha, Jyeshtha, Revati|
|Ketu||7 Years||Ashwini, Magha, Moola|
|Venus||20 Years||Bharani, PurvaPhalguni, Purvashadha|
Above Mahadasha order is fix for any native in the world, i.e. after Mars, native will go through the dasha of Rahu and so on. In total it adds to 120 years. The probability of a human life span could be 120 years, however, no native goes through the dasha of all the above planets during his lifetime.
What is Antardasha
Vimshottari dasha is divided into two main category i.e. Mahadasha (Great Period) and Antardasha (Sub Period). Antardasha is also called Bhukti. Antardasha gives you more exact time calculation of the event. This is a division of Mahadasha period, where all the 9 planets would have their influence within the major influence of the planet which is a ruler of Mahadasha. For example, in the 17 year Mahadasha period of mercury, all the 9 planets including Mercury will have their share of period.
There are 12 signs of the zodiac we were born. These 12 signs are further subdivided into 27 segments of 13°20’ (13 deg. 20 min), referred to as Nakshatras. When 13°20’ is multiplied by 27, it equals to 360°, representing the entire zodiac belt. Each Nakshatra has a lord planet. The first Mahadasha is determined by the Nakshatra that the Moon was transiting at the time of birth.
How Do We Calculate Antardasha
Formula = (Period of Antardasha Planet/120) x 12 x Period of Major Dasha Planet
Vimshottari dasha calculation starts right after your birth. At the time of birth of the native, the constellation occupied by the Moon determines which planet ruled at that time, and what is the balance years remaining for the current dasha, after that next planet will rule the native. Vimshottari chart is calculated and prepared for your lifetime, so that you can find the answers to all the questions in your life.
Let’s take an example of a person born on September 1, 1978. As per his astrological chart, he was going through the main dasha of Mercury at the time of birth, in the Mercury, he had sub-dasha of Mars, so it is represented in the form of dasha-sub dasha in the chart such as Mer-Mar, Mer-Rah, Mer-Jup. It means after Mars, he went through the sub-dasha of Rahu, Jupiter, Saturn, and so on. After Mercury, he had main dasha of Ketu, and so on. In brief, every native in this world is going through the dasa-antardasha of the planets.
Any antardashas are further divided in to 9 segmentation of 9 periods in which all the 9 planets would have their period of influences. These segmentation are called Pratyantar dasha or sub-sub period.
Predictions Using Vimshottari Dasha
Events fructify in the sub-periods of indicative planets. Therefore, it is very important that we understand the method of analysing the dasa (main period) and bhukti (sub-period) results. Vimsottari dasa system has been mentioned for general applications. Based on the longitude of the Moon in the natal charts, the balance of operational Vimsottari dasa is calculated. The dasha lord is the primary factor to make prediction.
During the major period of each planet all other planets share periods proportionate to their period in the Vimsottari dasa. This share of period is known as sub-period (bhukti) and the first sub-period in any planet’s own main period is always its own, followed by other planets as mentioned above.
As per Mr. V K Choudhry, the founder of Systems’ Approach for Interpreting Horoscopes:
1. During the main period of a FM (functional malefic), the sub period of a FM will cause sufferings.
2. During the main period of a FM the sub period of a strong FB (functional benefic) will bestow good results.
3. During the main period of a FM the sub period of a weak functional benefic will give only hopes which may not get fulfilled.
4. During the main period of a FB the sub period of a strong FB will bestow very good results.
5. During the main period of a FB, the sub period of a weak FB will bestow average results with mishaps during unfavorable transit influences.
6. During the main period of a FB, the sub period of a FM will cause mild sufferings.
7. During the main period of a FM or a FB the sub periods of a FM (if involved in close conjunction or aspect with weak planets) will cause grave concerns and/or tragic happenings.
He further adds, during the main period of the functional benefic planets, the sub-period of functional malefic planets involved in close conjunctions or aspects with weak planets cause grave concerns and/or tragic happenings. The results of the significations of the sub-period lord depend upon its strength and conjunction(s)/aspect(s) to the same, either natally or in transit. The significations of the house of placement are touched when transit planets create benefic or malefic influences on the sub-period lord. In the sub-period of any planet other than Rahu or Ketu, the following significations are touched:-
(1) The general significations of the sub-period lord. For example, the Sun rules father, social status, position with the government, male child, digestive system, heart, blood pressure, etc.
(2) The significations of the house where the mooltrikona sign of the sub-period lord is placed. In case some other functional malefic planet influences the most effective point of this mooltrikona house, during the sub-period of the ruling planet the significations of the mooltrikona house shall not prosper and will face problems indicated by the afflicting planet depending upon its lordship.
(3) The significations of the house(s) where the sub-period lord is placed either natally or in transit.
Similarly, in the sub-periods of Rahu and Ketu, are touched not only their general significations but also the significations of their houses of placement as well as the significations of the planets that influence or are influenced by Rahu or Ketu, either natally or in transit.
The transit influences supersede the sub-period influences. The sub-period influences are more pronounced than the major period influence. The major period has some influence throughout, but the said influence can be superseded by the sub period and the transit.
Let’s take an example of the Sun Mahadasha. We judge dasha lord on the following grounds:
- Placement of the Sun in the chart, if it is in the own sign, friendly sign, enemy sign, exalted or debilitated.
- What planet it is in conjunction with, and if this conjuction is benefic, or malefic.
- What planets are aspecting on the dashalord.
- Note down the signs ruled by the planet. For example, Sun rules to Leo. For Mesha (Aries) lagna, it will be 5th house.
- Check, if dasha lord is placed in Trikona or Kendra.
Here is a nice and easy tool you can use to get your Vimshottari Dasha Calculation: